30 Years and Counting

by

Recently, I woke up from a nap startled and you know why? Because 30. I have been waiting since I was 15 to turn thirty and today it happened. I am there. Not very many people can say that they have been waiting to be thirty for what seems like forever but I think once I was even asked the question, "what do you want to be when you grow up?" and my response was, "I just want to be 30." Back then, I felt like it would take forever but now, I don't know how it came so quickly. And time really does fly by. You realize this truth when you sit still for just a second.

We try to tell ourselves that life is about the quiet moments, but if we are honest, I think most of us get caught up in the hustle and bustle and we find ourselves longing for the rare quiet moments. It isn't something we do intentionally, it just happens. Life is busy and there are a million things to think about at any given moment. But every so often, we turn off the crazy road for a moment of still and that is when we really get a glimpse of this thing we call life. And we start to wonder if we are doing it wrong? right?

I have read a lot of '30 things in 30...' posts and have wondered every time how people come up with THIRTY things?! Well, I have decided that I would like to give it a shot. A list of thirty things.

1. Life is never fair. A hard pill to swallow, but true none the less. I know, starting with that is major, but this is probably one of the greater things I have learned about my time on this earth. There will always be something and it is what we choose to do with those things that will make us. Good or bad.

2. God is God even when life is cruel. I wanted to follow up with this as my #2 since #1 was so harsh. Especially in the past 5 years of life, I have been learning this one. "Been learning" is key because I am working through this:) In all things, amazing or horribly devastating, God will forever be who He says He is and that will never change. In that, I find great comfort.

3. It is OK to fail. We all do it. Some of my greatest life lessons have come after great failures:)

4. We should treat people how we wish to be treated. Seriously, even when it is hard. And when we fail...

5. We should be willing to say I'm sorry. It means everything. And so does I forgive you. Still learning this one.

6. Family is everything so don't take yours for granted if you have a good one. There are a lot of people out there who are without or who come from broke homes. My family is everything so I love sharing them with others and I always do my very best to make sure they know how much they mean to me.

7. People who ask you how you are doing and don't ever really wait for an answer are more like your acquaintances because really, not everyone is a BFF:) Friends are people who actually want to live life with you. People who want to know how you are doing when you are doing really well and when you are not so well.

8. TIME really is the greatest gift that we can give. I remember loving presents so much when I was younger, and not that I don't appreciate pretty things, but they don't compare to time:) I most appreciate when people are willing to give me their time because that is what really shows me that I mean something. I guess you can say it is one of my love languages!

9. There is no such thing as perfect. Sigh of relief, am I right?

10. Being 2nd, 3rd, 6th place is absolutely acceptable! 1st isn't all that matters in life:) You will miss out on a lot of freaking amazing life if that is the only thing that motivates you.

11. Your best is always enough.

12. Learning is FOREVER. Sorry kids:) And not sorry because I love learning new things. I think that is why being a teacher is the job for me.

13. It is ok for brown to be a person's favorite color.

14. If you have the opportunity to do what you love, DO WHAT YOU LOVE. Not all people are able to pursue their dreams. So if you are able, you should. 

15. Money will not make your life complete. At some point, it will not be enough so make sure that you fill your life with the things that truly matter.

16. Laugh at yourself when you mess up. It's ok.

17. Things like worry and jealousy steal joy. And it's NEVER worth it.

18. One day at a time. We are meant to live life this way and this is something I will have to learn regularly because I often get ahead of myself.

19. Kittens are cuter than puppies...this is a list of MY 30 things so... :)

20. It really is a SMALL world after all:) AND you should travel while you are able.

21. Sufjan Stevens.

22. Actions will always speak louder than words. ALWAYS.

23. People change, things change, be the change. 

24. Keep a journal. I love to write. I'm not saying I am the best or even good but I love to do it and I think everyone should. Sometimes, I feel like there is more freedom in writing than there is in speaking. Is this crazy? I don't know but one thing I do know is that writing has always helped me work through so many moments. I think it would do so many so much good to pick up a pen every once in a while.

25. Comfortable is not the answer.

26. Be a giver. It is always better to give than to receive. We will always find fullness and meaning in giving. Always.

27. Learn to appreciate the 'little' things in life. Because they are important.

28. Take care of yourself. Our health is important because our bodies are temples.

29. We need to be comfortable in our own skin. Because seriously, it's what's on the inside that really does matter. Remember the 'don't judge a book by its cover' saying? Don't. This is easier said than done, especially in the world we live in today, but we really should spend more time working on that inside person:)

30. Your circumstances do not own you. 

I think this is 30. And I could probably go on but I will stop here. My 31 would be something like, to be continued... because really, see #12.

Cheers to another year,

Roxi